518,923 ft² | 48,200 m²
2011 - 2014
Fundamental Commissioning, Enhanced Commissioning, Energy Modeling
LEED v3 Commercial Interiors Silver, LEED v3 Core and Shell Silver
Owned by Boston Properties, the Patriots Park campus in Reston, VA is the home of a United States government entity. It comprises three adjacent office buildings, two of which have been renovated as a part of this project.
Baumann Consulting was hired during the schematic design phase of the project to coordinate the commissioning process and verify the functional performance of all equipment and systems. The project pursued fundamental and enhanced commissioning for the Core & Shell and Commercial Interiors certification.
As part of the commissioning process, Baumann carried out Operation Diagnostics, or analysis of trend data. The purpose of this activity is to evaluate system performance over long time periods, in this case 1 month.
Baumann’s main tasks included:
- Conducting design and constructability reviews
- Reviewing and providing comments on contractor submittals
- Site inspection of all energy-related systems
- Verifying and documenting system and intersystem operations
- Coordinating and verifying systems training with the facility’s engineers
- Developing the final Cx report
Baumann developed the Energy Model for both the Core & Shell and the Commercial Interiors certifications. The improved building envelope, dedicated outdoor air heat recovery and reduced cooling demand resulted in energy cost savings of approxi-mately 25% and 22% respectively.