State University New York (SUNY) is building a new outpatient clinical center with a gross floor area of 326,000 sf on eight levels. It will provide an Ambulatory Care facility, which is anticipated to include Ambulatory Surgery, Generic Outpatient Clinic, and the Joslin Diabetes Center. The Outpatient Clinic Center is aiming to be LEED NC v3 Gold certified and will promote wellness through various design features.
Baumann Consulting has been contracted for various energy modeling services. The goal of the initial schematic design study is to:
- Compare the energy performance of two design system type options:
a)All-air VAV system w/o heat recovery
b)Dedicated outdoor air system (DOAS) with fan assisted chilled beams
- Evaluate code compliance
- Evaluate energy savings compared to ASHRAE 90.1-2007
Comparing both system options, the Energy Use Intensity of the DOAS is 26% less than the VAV system.
The DOAS achieved an energy cost reduction of approximately 30% compared to ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2007. The incorporated Energy Efficiency Measures (EEMs) include but are not limited to:
- DOAS with heat recovery wheel
- Fan assisted chilled beams
- Efficient plant equipment and envelope
- Efficient interior lighting
- Dynamic glazing in the envelope
<< Back to Case Study Page